Nutella and I have a long, sordid history together. It started when I was living in Florence, Italy for a summer, pining for peanut butter, my favorite medium for stress-eating. Living in another country with 5 housemates had its trying moments and I missed the creamy comfort of Skippy schmeared on a sandwich, warm and melty on toast or sticking to my mouth straight out of the jar. At seven euro a tiny container, I couldn't justify the price.
Enter Nutella, the much cheaper, chocolately, delicious hazelnut alternative at only 2 euro a jar. [This was in 2006; I'm sure prices have gone way up since then!]
When first I tasted that creamy chocolate hazelnut spread, I knew our relationship would be rocky. It wasn't that I didn't love its flavor--no, quite the opposite. I loved it a little *too* much--like, within the first week, I lost count of how many times I pulled a Winnie the Pooh and got my hand stuck in the jar. When my roommates finished off half of mine without telling me, I looked something like this.
[I'm not proud.]
Since then, I've tried to cut it out of my life several times. I twist off the lid with trepidation and within a few minutes find myself with a stomachache and a much lighter jar. I vow never to touch it again but before the thought even finishes, my hand is reaching for the spoon again. After a day or so, well past the point when my family should have called A&E for an intervention, I scrape the bottom of the jar with my finger, hugging each crevice of plastic until there's only the faintest opaque traces of chocolate visible.
I swear it off for months. I claim I've forgotten about it. And then something happens that draws me back again. To celebrate Sunday Supper turning one, the Sunday Supper Team is celebrating by choosing a recipe from the past year and recreating it this week. I was having a ball going through the recipes from previous months, but didn't get farther than October. There, on the screen in front of me, were two of the most dangerous words in my vocabulary: Nutella and Shortbread. Baker Street had Nutella Shortbread Bars for a comfort food theme [fitting, right?] and my eyes wouldn't let me look at anything else until I clicked the link.
I love shortbread because it's the holy trifecta of baking put in the oven--butter, flour and sugar. Nothing better. The entire recipe is simple and straightforward. It comes together quickly, has a buttery crust and a sweet, gooey, cocoa-nutty filling. I changed things up just slightly by adding ground hazelnuts to the crust for an extra bit of hazelnut (I can't get enough!). I also forgot to set the timer and pulled these out a few minutes before they were done so they were extra gooey. They weren't going to make for a clean and tidy eating experience, but serve warm and top with vanilla ice cream and you're in for an experience!
Nutella Shortbread Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup toasted ground hazelnuts
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease an 8"x8" baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together crust ingredients until mixture is combined. Transfer to greased pan and press down evenly into the pan. Prick all over with a fork. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the filling ingredients, whisking until smooth. Pour over baked crust. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the middle has puffed and just set. [Don't mistake the top looking dry for it being set--that was my mistake. My gooey, delicious mistake.]
- Allow to cool completely before serving or, if you don't mind things a bit loose-slash-not-so-pretty (think: the first piece of pie that never looks nice when you serve it), serve warm with ice cream.
Come celebrate an amazing year of recipes and gathering around the family table! I only joined a month ago, but the past 52 weeks have featured delicious recipes from a talented and diverse group of bloggers. This week is no exception! Check out what everyone's making...Happy Birthday, Sunday Supper!
Sunday Supper Appetizers:
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Comfy Cuisine
- So Simple Pizza Puffs by The Weekend Gourmet inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
- Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Soups and Breads:
- Lasagna Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup by Webicurean inspired by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Soup by Damn Delicious inspired by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Honey Butter Dinner Rolls by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Chicken Noodle Soup by Big Bears Wife inspired by My Catholic Kitchen
- Tomato Florentine Soup by Mama Mommy Mom inspired by The Meltaways
- Chicken Soup with Dumplings by Comfy Cuisine inspired by The Messy Baker
- Coconut Curry Chicken Soup by My Trials in the Kitchen inspired by Damn Delicious
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce by Supper for a Steal inspired by Family Foodie
- (GlutenFree) Chicken Bruschetta by The Meltaways inspired by Family Foodie
- Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew by Kimchi Mom inspired by Family Foodie
- Lentils and Chorizo Stew by Galactosemia in PDX inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Carnitas Pizza w/ Chipotle-Avocado Crema by girlichef inspired by Damn Delicious
- Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas by Country Girl in the Village inspired by Webicurean
- Drunken Meatballs by Small Wallet Big Appetite inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo by Magnolia Days inspired by Family Foodie
- Dorie’s Chicken-in-the-Pot by Hip Foodie Mom inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Pulled Pickled Pork by Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Hoisin Asian Meatballs by Gotta Get Baked inspired by Damn Delicious
- Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes by Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinade by Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Burger with Curried Cabbage Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by Soni’s Food
- Corn and Basil Handpies by Curious Cuisiniere inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken by Cupcakes and Kale Chips inspired by The Meltaways
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili by Food Lust People Love inspired by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bigos by Maroc Mama inspired by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by From Fast Food to Fresh Food inspired by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Sweet & Tender Brisket by Daddy Knows Less inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Fish Tacos by Cookistry inspired by Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Homemade Harissa by Masala Herb inspired by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Family Foodie inspired by Kimchi Mom
- New Orleans Style White Beans & Rice by Catholic Foodie inspired by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
- Spice Rubbed Chicken Tacos with Tropical Salsa by The Urban Mrs. inspired by Family Foodie
- Mac n Cheese Cups with Pork Shoulder Ragu by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
Sunday Supper Veggies:
- Carrots au Gratin by Shockingly Delicious inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame, Cilantro & Bacon Bits by The Lovely Pantry inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:
- Chocolate Brownie Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Magnolia Days
- Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Cinnamon Apple Chimichangas by La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle by Cravings of a Lunatic inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Cherry Tart by Happy Baking Days inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Orange Rolls by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Caramel Apple Bread by The Foodie Army Wife inspired by Fam Friends Food
- Rosettes by Simply Gourmet inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Donut Puffs by Soni’s Food inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies by Basic and Delicious inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Nutella Shortbread Bars by Kelly Bakes inspired by Baker Street
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen inspired by Dinner Dishes and Desserts
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream by The Messy Baker Blog inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by Ninja Baker inspired by That Skinny Girl Can Bake
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by Vintage Kitchen inspired by girlichef
- Sweet N Spicy Roasted Spiced Nuts by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Cheesecake with Fresh Berries by An Appealing Plan inspired by The Messy Baker Blog
- Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Oat Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Budget Friendly Breakfast Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches by In The Kitchen with KP inspired by Big Bear’s Wife
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen inspired by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.