Valentine's Day is an extremely polarizing holiday. It pins people into two camps: those who celebrate and those who protest the holiday. Those who celebrate do so at varying intensities, from simple card-givers to those who make elaborate shows of affection by carpeting their domiciles in red roses or buying teddy bears the size of small planets. The protestors are nearly as apparent in their stance on February 14th. I've been the audience to many a tirade about the commercialization of love and how the greeting card industry is to blame for the materialism behind Valentine's Day.
Regardless of how you feel about the holiday, I've got the perfect dessert to go with your feelings. If you're a romantic and looking for a sexy dessert, this dark chocolate raspberry torte will not disappoint. It's a show-stopper with it's bright berries the perfect shade of Valentines red. Grab two forks so you and your sweetie can feed each other every rich bite. Or, if you wish your calendar skipped right over Cupid's busiest day, then put on some angsty music, get yourself a fork, skip the plate and eat your feelings because this torte has got chocolate as dark as your attitude towards Vday.
Personally, I fall somewhere in between both parties. I've had plenty of years where I've shared the holiday with someone special, but I've also had one or two years watching The Notebook and cramming Reese's hearts into my mouth like a chipmunk preparing to hibernate. Recently, I've come to experience Valentine's Day as a time to appreciate loved ones in whatever role they play. In that vein, this dark chocolate raspberry torte is serving as a Galentine's Day treat, perfect for bringing together some fantastic ladies who I am thankful to call my friends. Whether you're sitting across from your beloved at a romantic table for two, bringing together your loved ones around the family table or showing yourself a bit of love, I hope you'll join me and the rest of the #SundaySupper team as we share our delicious Valentine's treats with you this Sunday!
- 2 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (or chocolate graham cracker crumbs)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 9 oz dark chocolate (I used 72% cacao, which makes for an intense chocolate flavor. If you'd like something less so, go with somewhere around 65%)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablepoons heavy cream
- 1 2/3 oz dark chocolate (again, I used 72% cacao)
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon raspberry liquer, such as Chambord
- 1 teaspoon warm water
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Stir together cookie crumbs, melted butter and sugar in a bowl until combined. (Mixture should just hold together when pinched). Pour into a 9" tart pan with removable bottom. Press into pan's bottom and sides using the bottom of a glass or measuring cup. Bake until firm, 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a rack to cool, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Chop 9 ounces chocolate and place into a medium bowl.
- Heat 1 1/4 cups heavy cream in a small saucepan until it just begins to boil. Remove from heat and pour over chopped chocolate. Allow to sit 5 minutes. Slowly stir until smooth and glossy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla, salt and add to melted chocolate mixture. Pour into cooled cookie crumb crust.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are set but center is still wobbly. Remove from oven and allow to cool approximately one hour.
- Finely chop 1 2/3 ounces chocolate and place in a small bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of heavy cream until it just comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Pour over chocolate. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, stir until smooth. Stir in corn syrup then add warm water and liquer. Stir until combined and chocolate becomes glossy.
- Pour over torte, spread with an off-set spatula.
- Arrange raspberries while chocolate is still wet. Allow to set for an hour before serving.
How do you observe Valentine's Day? Are you a fan or a forgoer?
If you're stuck for ideas, the #SundaySupper team has got you covered! We're cooking up something special for every meal of the day (and plenty of sweet things for dessert! ;). Check out what everyone's making below and join us at 7pm, this Sunday, February 10th for a Valentine's Day-themed chat on Twitter. Follow along with the hashtag #SundaySupper. You'll love what we've brought to the table!
Make sure you check out the other #SundaySupper participants to see what they’ve made for our Valentine’s Day #SundaySupper!
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Breakfasts, Apps & Main Dishes:
- Asparagus, Clam & Bay Shrimp Pasta from Galactopdx
- Bacon Double Cheese Burger Bites from In the Kitchen with KP
- Cheese Stuffed Cannelloni from Curious Cuisiniere
- Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta from MarocMama
- Green Olive, Goat Cheese & Basil Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Indian Shrimp Pulao from Soni’s Food
- Individual Beef “Phyll-ingtons” from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ranch, Bacon and Cheese Crisps from Daily Dish Recipes
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Rissóis de Camarão | Portuguese Shrimp Dumplings from Family Foodie
- Spicy Red Cabbage Quiche | Veggie Quiche Recipe from Masala Herb
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Sweet Eats:
- Banana Bourbon Blondies from The Messy Baker
- Banana Cream Napoleon from Food Lust People Love
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Brown Butter Rolo Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies from Damn Delicious
- Chocolate Baumkuchen from Webicurean
- Chocolate Bread Pudding from La Cocina de Leslie
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Banana Cream from The Lovely Pantry
- Chocolate Covered Bacon from I Run For Wine
- Chocolate Covered Stuffed Strawberries from Country Girl in the Village
- Chocolate Mousse from Mom, What’s For Dinner?
- Chocolate Roll filled with Nutella Cream from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream with Cherry Sauce from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas with Chocolate Sauce from The Roxx Box
- Coconut Sweetheart Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coeur a la Creme from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Mints from Simply Gourmet
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Torte from Kelly Bakes
- #GlutenFree Chocolate Almond Cloudless Cake from Cooking Underwriter
- Heart Shaped White Chocolate Cakes with Raspberry Cream from Noshing with the Nolands
- Homemade Cherry Mash Candies from Juanita’s Cocina
- Maple-Date Bars from Diabetic Foodie
- Meyer Lemon Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Samoa Bundt Cakes from Ruffles & Truffles
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake from Gotta Get Baked
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Pistachio and Chocolate Souffle from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Raspberry Custard Tart from Kudos Kitchen
- Raw Fudge Love from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red Velvet French Macarons with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars from Chocolate Moosey
- Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting from The Urban Mrs.
- Strawberry Shortcake! from The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Valentine Cake Hearts from Ninja Baking
- Tres Leches Tea Cakes with Honey Riesling Soaked Fruit from Neighborfood
- Valentine’s Bakewell Tarts from Happy Baking Days
- Valentines Chocolate Apples from Big Bear’s Wife
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Drinks:
- Blood Orange Vodka Martinis from The Catholic Foodie
- Bloody Raspberry Cocktail from My Cute Bride
- Strawberry Gin Fizz from girlichef
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Tablescape: A Romantic Table For Two Please from An Appealing Plan