My favorite kind of people are the ones who I feel comfortable with from the moment I meet them. It's as if they carry a travel bag filled with things like ease and wit, ready to pull them out before they even shake your hand.
Joanne of Eats Well With Others is one of those people. I first had the pleasure of meeting her at Eat Write Retreat this past June. She's a lovely human being with some serious kitchen skills, but, selfishly (and thus more importantly), she made me laugh. She has a dry sense of humor and we spent a good hunk of the weekend wrapped up in an ever-evolving inside joke.
Laughter is my ultimate litmus test. If you can make me laugh, I'll have to fight against myself not to like you, unless you have some horrible dark habits like kicking puppies or something equally horrendous.
Joanne is not a puppy-kicker (thank goodness). She's a talented vegetarian cook and baker. Better still? She's my partner in this month's Leftovers Club swap! I wanted to make something that was comforting and sweet, kind of like my pal Joanne.
After a crazy busy summer, I'm in the midst of wrapping up things at my full-time job and packing my apartment, so I wanted something quick and easy to make. I also needed to use ingredients that I had on hand, meaning ones that weren't packed up already. These are made with marshmallows, rice cereal, butter, apple butter, cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. They're not as abrasively sweet and the cinnamon really nudges its way through all the sugar to say hello to your tastebuds. They're familiar yet fallish and perfect to share with friends!
Want to see what the other Leftovers Club folks are making? Check out their tasty treats below! Want to join us in in the fun? Click here to find out more about The Leftovers Club!
Apple Butter Rice Krispies Treats
(makes 9 - 12 treats, depending on how big you like our treats)
1 - 10 oz package marshmallows (mini are easier to stir, but I used the big guys)
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup apple butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 1/2 cups rice cereal
1. In a medium pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add apple butter. Stir to combine. Continue to stir until the apple butter is warmed through.
2. Add marshmallows to the pot, gently stirring to melt the marshmallows. Continue to stir until marshmallows are fully melted and no lumps remain.
3. Remove from heat. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir to incorporate. Allow mixture to cool for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, grease an 8x8" pan.
5. Once apple butter/marshmallow mixture has cooled slightly, pour into a large bowl. Add rice cereal and stir until the cereal is coated.
6. Transfer the cereal mixture into the greased 8x8" pan. Press down slightly on the mixture to make sure it sticks to itself, all the while being careful not to crush the cereal.
7. Allow to cool at least 4 hours. Slice into squares and enjoy.
8. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.