Decadent, dark chocolate peanut butter ice cream hugs sweet and salty peanut butter balls for the ultimate peanut butter and chocolate lover's dessert!
Some things were just meant to be: Romeo & Juliet, bourbon & steak, and chocolate & peanut butter. Luckily for you (and me), I'm bringing you one of those lovely pairings to this very blog. Today is Chocolate Peanut Butter Day, hosted by Carla of Chocolate Moosey and Miriam of Overtime Cook. They've brought together over 30 talented bloggers bringing you all kinds of peanut butter-chocolate deliciousness. We'll be sharing our posts all over social media, so follow the hashtag #chocPBDay and be sure to check out all the recipes on our Pinterest Board! Plus, to thanks to our lovely sponsors, OXO, King Arthur Flour and Peanut Butter & Co, we've got some fantastic products to giveaway to three lucky winners. Enter below for your chance to win!
This ice cream is rich and delicious. It's not for those who like light flavors or plain jane vanilla all the time. It's an easy way to step up your ice cream game without too much effort. The ice cream base is Philadelphia-style, meaning that it doesn't require eggs and it's not terribly fussy. As if a chocolate peanut butter base wasn't enough, there are peanut butter balls scattered throughout and they're made with the same recipe as the filling for both my homemade peanut butter eggs and homemade peanut butter hearts. If you like peanut butter cups, you're going to love this ice cream so much you'll want to wife it up and put a ring on it. Promise.
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
For the Ice Cream Base:
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup chocolate-peanut butter (I used Peanut Butter & Co's Dark Chocolate Dreams. If you can't find it, you can substitute 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter and add 2 additional tablespoons cocoa powder)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Add-Ins:
- 4 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (if using crunchy peanut butter instead, omit peanuts)
- 3 tablespoons peanuts, chopped very fine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, heavy cream, cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate peanut butter, vanilla extract and salt over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once the sugar has dissolved and the mixture comes to a slight boil (it will have a steady bubble around the edges), remove from heat. [At this point, you can add it to a blender if you want a super-smooth base, but it should be fine as is!] Pour into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and cool until chilled thoroughly.
- While the mixture is chilling, prepare the peanut butter balls by adding the creamy peanut butter and salted butter to a microwave bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted, being careful not to burn the peanut butter. Stir a few times before adding the nuts. Slowly stir in half the confectioner's sugar, working in 2 batches so as to not make a big ol' mess of your kitchen. Stir in the other half. You should have a thick dough at this point.
- Prepare a cookie sheet by lining it with wax paper or parchment. Grab a hazelnut or a nickel-sized piece of peanut butter mixture, roll into a ball and place on the lined cookie sheet. Continue with the remaining peanut butter dough until all the balls have been made. Freeze until ready to use.
- Once the chocolate peanut butter base has properly chilled, churn according to your ice cream maker's instructions. Once the mixture has been churned, scoop the mixture into a freezer-safe container and stir in the peanut butter balls and chopped chocolate. Freeze until set.
- Enjoy with extra peanut butter and hot fudge on top if you're so peanut butter and chocolate inclined ;)
Want more peanut butter-chocolate inspiration? Be sure to check out all the posts below!
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Mousse Parfait by Hip Foodie Mom
- Dark Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookies by Mind Over Batter
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter Crumb Parfait by Hungry Couple
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Doughnuts by It's Yummi!
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cup Swirl Brownies by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Buckeye Cheesecake Bars by Chocolate Moosey
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate Scones by All Day I Dream About Food
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Jam Bars by Poet in the Pantry
- Crunchy Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cannolis by Souffle Bombay
- 4 Layer Chocolate Brownie Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting by Neighborfood
- Mini Chocolate Caramel Peanut Butter Cheesecakes by The Spiffy Cookie
- Peanut Butter Nanaimo Bars by Crumb: A Food Blog
- Chocolate Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies by Jen's Favorite Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies by In The Kitchen With KP
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies by The Cooking Actress
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Trifle by Kelli's Kitchen
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream by Kelly Bakes
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Biscotti by Lauren Kelly Nutrition
- Chunky Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownies by Snappy Gourmet
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Bundt Cake with Chocolate Cheesecake Filling by Overtime Cook
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls by Gotta Get Baked
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Quick Bread by Magnolia Days
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chips Bars by Roxana's Home Baking
- Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Blondies by What Smell's So Good
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Earthquake Cake by I Wash You Dry
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares by Food Lust People Love
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Cups by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Krispie Cheesecake Bars by Food Faith Fitness
...and now for the giveaway!
A huge thank you to our sponsors! Be sure to follow them on social media:
Three lucky winners will win one of the following:
Prize Pack #1: OXO Baking Tool Set: One 3-in-1 Egg Separator, One Bent Icing Knife, One Brownie Spatula, One Cake Tester, One Cookie Spatula, One Cupcake Icing Knife, One Cupcake Corer, One Egg Beater, One Stainless Steel Measuring Cups, One Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons, One Medium Cookie Scoop
Prize Pack #2: King Arthur Flour ingredients: One bag of all-purpose flour, one package of Guittard bittersweet chocolate disks, and one bottle of pure vanilla extract
Prize Pack #3: Peanut Butter and Co. package including: one Dark Chocolate Dreams 6-pack, One Variety 6-pack, and One 31 Days of Dark Chocolate Dreams cookbook
This giveaway is open to US residents only and will be picked from random draw. Giveaway ends Monday March 31 at 11:59 PM. The winners will be notified via email and have 24 hours to respond. If not, the prize is forfeited and another winner will be chosen.